Sunday, January 16, 2005

Cup 30: What Could Be Better?

bliss
Originally uploaded by matt_leclair.
Where: the livingroom, Orono, ME
When: 8:30 am, Jan 16, 2005
Who: Dot and Dash
Coffee: Maine Roaster's French Roast
Mood: Content

Finally, my cold is going away, and I can taste again. It is a Sunday, and there's nowhere I need to be. Dot is lying against my feet while Dash hangs out at my knees. The TiVo has great anime waiting for me from last night's Adult Swim. What could be better?

I hadn't quite realized it before, but my coffee had been lacking something this year. Just slightly diminished, lacking the full flavor it should have. I discovered what it was. Up til this year, the local store carried Organic Valley's Organic Half and Half, which is what I always bought. For some reason, though, they'd stopped carrying it, so I just bought the local brand of half & half, not wanting to drive all the way into Bangor just to get half & half. I picked up some the other day on a shopping trip to the big city, and what a difference it makes! The coffee is more robust, with a lingering, satisfying finish. Looking at the ingredients, the "regular" half & half has preservatives and ingredients to keep it from separating, and the expiration date is a full month later than the organic. I knew that even the slightest traces of chemicals other than water in the brewing process could completely throw off a pot of coffee, but I hadn't realized the same was true of the half and half. Seek out some organic half & half and try it for yourself!

No comments: