Monday, January 03, 2005

Cup 11: Morning Read

coffee 11
Originally uploaded by matt_leclair.
Location: Living Room, Orono, ME
When: January 2nd, 2005, 7am
Present: Dot & Dash
Coffee: Maine Roaster's French Roast
Mood: Content

I need my routine. The first hour after I wake up I am useless. My ability to make decisions, do anything requiring intelligent thought, manual dexterity, or social skills is severely compromised. So I build that into my day, getting up an hour earlier than I really need to so I can have time to sit around and adjust. I need a routine so I can just plug my body into it without needing to think at all. Before the cats, my routine was to get up, make coffee and watch what the TiVo caught off of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. But now the cats need to be able to move around the house. Maybe this is just a first-time cat owner thing, but I feel like the doors need to be open so they can have 24/7 access to their food and litter box. Before the cats I'd close the door to the bedroom and to the livingroom so I could watch my shows without waking Jess, but now I have find quieter things to do in the morning. So it looks like my routine now is going to be get up, make coffee while the cats chase me around the kitchen (they're after the belt on my bathrobe) then read for the duration of the first cup of coffee.

Sunday morning I started The Golden Compass with that plan, only it didn't quite work that way. I couldn't stop reading. By the time the first coffee was done, I was totally hooked and didn't want to stop reading. Then I realized it was the last day of vacation, and I really didn't need to. I can't see how it'll translate into a stage play. One of the most important aspects of the book is the idea of daemons. Basically, in this world people's souls are external and take the aspect of shape-shifting (at least for prepubescent humans) animals. How do you show that in a play? Still, I do hope I get to go to England to see it!

No comments: