Monday, January 24, 2005

Cup 45: Please Drive Safely

monday
Originally uploaded by matt_leclair.
Location: I-95 headed toward Augusta
When: January 23, 2005, 6:45 am
Present: just me
Coffee: Maine Port City Coffee Roasters Indian Malabar
Mood: gluck

There's a Chinese charm hanging from my rear-view mirror. I know that Chinese is pretty trendy right now. Not to speak, but just to have Chinese symbols around. People are getting tatooed with Chinese words without even knowing what they say. I think this is a riot. I think about Engrish.com where you can find all sorts of examples of the hilarious things that can happen when you use a language you don't speak just as a design element. I wonder what ludicrous graffiti people are putting on their bodies and one day their flesh will be put on on a Chinese web site where people will make fun of them. I'm not making this mistake though. The symbols on the thing hanging from my mirror say (more or less) PLEASE DRIVE SAFELY. This is the last thing that I'm doing this morning though. I am tired. I am cranky. I drove eight hours the day before, three hours the day before that, nine hours the day before. I've been up early every day. I want to sleep. I want to never be in a car again. Here I am again though, in the car for another hour and fifteen minutes when I am really too tired to be there. I've got Port City coffee, but I'm not even noticing it as I drink. I shifted into second when I was aiming for fifth. First time I've ever done that, and the Interstate is nowhere you want to make that mistake. The warning signs were flashing 45 because they still hadn't finished cleaning up from the storm, but I was going 85. I just wanted to get out of the car.

No comments: