Tuesday, February 01, 2005

cup 57

When: Feb 1, 2005, 6:30 am
Present: Dot & Dash
Coffee: Maine Roaster's Capone
Mood: pensive

I think I'm more nervous than my mom. I'm puttering, never staying put long enough to actually drink my coffee because I'm too busy, but I'm not. It is six in the morning. There is nothing to be busy with. I'm just working off tension. Mom's going in for cataract surgery and I'm going with her. Modern cataract surgery is an amazing thing. It's done with a needle and ultrasound and local anaesthetic. It takes less time than getting a filling, and doesn't need stitches or anything. Intellectually, I know all these facts. But hey, it's my mom, and it just makes me nervous. It also makes me realize something that I've been trying hard to be in denial about: I'm getting older. I know this because of the role reversal. There was a time when it would have been my mom taking me to the hospital because I was sick or had injured myself or something. But now its the other way around. And when she gets back I'll stick close by, make sure she has what she needs, put drops in her eyes and so on. It used to be her role to take care of me. But now... 35 years sure do happen awfully fast.

No comments: