Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Cup 5: Impending Cats

coffee5
Originally uploaded by matt_leclair.
Location: My livingroom, Orono, ME
When: December 29th, 2004, 8 am
Present: just me
Coffee: Maine Roaster's Coffee French Roast
Mood: anxious

Great cup of coffee this morning. That's the fun of the French press. Coffee makers brew consistantly, so if you use the same amount and kind of coffee, and you filter the water, you'll get the same cup every day. But the French press adds the variable of time to the mix, so some days you'll get coffee that is pretty good, while others you get coffee that just makes you pause and say, "Wow, that's a great cup of coffee!" This morning was a great cup of coffee day. I savored it while watching the first episode of Wolf's Rain that the TiVo recorded last night. I am procrastinating today. It is one of those days where I've got so much to do that I wind up doing none of it. Jessie comes home today, and her mom and brother are coming along with her to visit, so I have to get the apartment cleaned up before she gets here. I've been taking advantage of her absence to be a complete slob, so that is going to take some doing. Plus I have to cat-proof the place since she's bringing two cats with her. It'll be great to have the cats around but I am feeling quite anxious about it, since I haven't informed the landlady that cats are moving in, yet. The fact that the landlady is also my mom further complicates matters...

6 comments:

Kim said...

This is great! I posted a link to you in my blog today... keep up the great work... um, I mean coffee reports.

Victoria said...

Yes, you are a coffee achiever..

Matt LeClair said...

You're right! The movie is 200 Cigarettes, and I was thinking of the wrong movie anyway. 200 Cigarettes is an 80s nostalgia piece with Ben Affleck and Courtney Love. I never saw it but it sounds awful. The one I'm thinking of is one of those Independent Film Channel movies that I never saw the beginning or end of, but one of the main characters would go out and photograph the same street corner at the same time every day. It was a very low-key thing, like My Dinner with Andre only with more action.

Anonymous said...

The movie you are thinking of is Smoke (1995) with Harvey Keitel and William Hurt. Keitel owns a smoke shop and the movie is mostly about the people who come in and out of his store. Hurt is novelist grieving for his wife. Near the end, Keitel reveals to Hurt his real life's work: every morning for the past 20 or so years, he has taken a single photograph from the same spot outside his shop at the same time right. He has albums and albums full of photos of this one spot, each varying slightly with the weather and the season and who happened to be walking by. This is his immortality, he says. He also shares that by chance one morning he photographed Hurt's wife before she died and they do some bonding, blah-de-blah-de-blah. (his project is really the most interesting part of the whole movie) Anywho, that is what you were thinking of...
~Jessie (I'm only posting as Anonymous cause I'm too lazy to sign up for an account. Deal.)

Matt LeClair said...

stag said...

So are you going to do 200 cups of coffee?


I don't know yet, honestly. One thing I've realized since I started this is that I drink more coffee than I thought I did. I was figuring that I drank a cup a day, but it's more like two right now, and I'm on vacation. When I am back to early mornings, late nights and tight deadlines, it'll be more like 3 or 4 a day. I thought 100 cups of coffee represented a significant chunk of time, but it might turn out to be more like a month! Maybe it'll be 100 Days of Coffee instead of cups, like 100 Nights of Sodom...

Matt LeClair said...

Kim said...

This is great! I posted a link to you in my blog today... keep up the great work... um, I mean coffee reports.


Thanks, Kim! That is very sweet of you! I honestly had no idea that anyone would even see this blog. Your encouragement means a whole lot. So cool that your husband is an Elvis impersonator!