Tuesday, December 28, 2004

100 Cups of Coffee

My plan is to chronicle the next 100 cups of coffee or so that I drink. I've been trying to think of an art project to do using a blog as the medium. I think there are elements of time and space that blogging lends itself to that I want to explore. I really wanted to do something with moblogging, but don't have the prerequisite photo cell phone. This experiment may not be all that interesting, but hopefully, in doing it, I'll make discoveries that will help me build something cooler in the future.

Why coffee? I'd been looking for some kind of theme that can be a unifying element to string together separate times, different locations, alternate events. I realized that one constant in my life is coffee. It is a constant because I am addicted to it. I can't start the day without my cup of coffee. Until I have that first cup, I am lethargic, unfocused, confused. If I am awake for more than a little while without drinking I get irritable and hostile. Before too long I develop a splitting headache. During times of stress I've been known to drink coffee all day, downing two or more full pots during the course of the day. When no coffee is available I've been known to drink the dregs from coffee cups that have been sitting around for days. This wouldn't be so bad if I didn't always have cream in my coffee. The acidity of coffee can keep the cream from curdling for a while, but it still gets nasty after a while. It has to be coffee, too. Soda and caffiene pills don't work.

Still, I have no plans to stop drinking coffee. I am an addict, yes, but I love the stuff. I I love the way it smells, the way it tastes. It is a part of my life. Before I get out of bed I'm looking forward to that first cup of coffee. The first thing I do in the morning after I get out of bed is to but the water on to boil for the French coffee press. So much better when I can make it myself, just the way I like it. Some days coffee is my destination. I'll take a walk uptown to buy a cup of coffee even when I have it at home. Starting out on a long journey, I'll buy a cup of coffee for the coffee holder so I can sip while I drive.

So this is the story of coffee and me. Admittedly, it isn't all that interesting, but maybe after the 50th cup of coffee or so, I'll find a way to make it fascinating. Let's find out!

2 comments:

Kim said...

What a fantastic idea! I can't wait to read how it all turns out...

jennybunny said...

Coffee? Good! French press -- good! Photoblogging good!

Nothing beats that hot, bitter brew in the morning.

Ahhh...