Sunday, March 12, 2006

Macchiato


Macchiato
Originally uploaded by matt_leclair.
This is what I'm really hooked on, macchiato, espresso with a dollop of steamed milk on top. The key is to lay the milk gently on top of the espresso so that it doesn't mix. Then you're sipping the espresso through the milk and it blends in your mouth. It's much more intense than a cappuccino, but the milk takes some of the edge off the espresso. I put a light shake of unsweetened chocolate on top. Not enough to change the flavor, but as you sip, you breathe in a lovely mocha smell.

I want to know the secrets of the barristas! It took me three tries to get this shot. The first two I threw away. I thought I did everything the same as usual, but I guess the grind was too fine because the first two trickled out in a sticky sludge. The third was pallatable with the foam on top of it, but would have been undrinkable without it.

I could blame the equipment, but I know that a good barrista can pull a better shot from a cheap machine than I could from a $40,000 maker. Are there camps for people like me? You know, like Space Camp, where you can go get astronaut training even if you don't intend to become an astronaut. Are there barrista wanna-be camps?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a new one for me. I will have to try this one!