Sunday, February 06, 2005

Cup 64: superheroes

DSCF1381
Originally uploaded by matt_leclair.
Where: livingroom, Orono, ME
When: 8 am, Feb 6
Who: Dot & Dash
Coffee: Port City India Malabar

I didn't mean to read the whole thing in one sitting. When I spend $30 on a comic book I like to savor it over a few days: Kurt Busiek's Astro City: The Tarnished Angel. But the coffee was good, Dash was curled up on my feet, Dot was hiding under the tree, and I just couldn't get up now, could I? Still, it was a wonderful Sunday morning. Astro City is one of the best comics pubished today. Years before The Incredibles, Astro City was reconstructing the superheroes deconstructed by Frank Miller and Alan Moore and creating something wonderful. I don't know if it was the first post-post-modern comic book, but it certainly is the best. Self-aware without being ironic, an homage not just to the classic comic books, but to that feeling of being a kid and reading superhero comics, when you could really put yourself into that comic book world. It wasn't so much that the heroes were real and in your world, but you were real in the superhero world. I don't know if someone who never experienced that as a kid would have the same reaction to Astro City. But then The Incredibles seemed to have struck a cord with a lot of people. Take a trip to Astro City and see for yourself!

No comments: